Sunday, March 13, 2011

Secret Society >> Book Review

Secret Society (Secret Society Novel)



Title: Secret Society
Author: Tom Dolby
Publisher: HarperTeen
Date Published: 2009
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 341
Source: Bought it
My Rating: 4 stars







Synopsis
53 Gansevoort Street
1:00 A.M.
You know what to do.

Secrets, secrets are not fun.
Secrets, secrets hurt someone...

An eccentric new girl. A brooding socialite. The scion of one of New York wealthiest families. A promising filmmaker. As students at the exclusive Chadwick School, Phoebe, Lauren, Nick, and Patch already live in a world most teenagers only dream about.

They didn't ask to be Society members. But when three of them receive a mysterious text message promising success and fame beyond belief, they say yes to everything. Even to the harrowing initiation ceremony in a gritty warehouse downtown, and to the ankh-shaped tattoo they're forced to get on the nape of their necks. 

Once they're part of the Society, things being falling into place for them. Week after week, their ambitions are fulfilled. It's all perfect-until a body is found in Central Park with no distinguishing marks except for an ankh-shaped tattoo.


My Review

I had this book for a while before I picked it up. I'm not really interested in reading about the high societies of New York so I was a little hesitant at first. 
To be honest the cover was the thing that drew me close to it, and then I read the summary and it sounded like something I would enjoy. 
The book started slow and the four different points of view were a little confusing but after a few pages I managed to get used to it.

The characters weren't developed enough as the author used third person narrative. I did love them of course especially Phoebe which was the only one who questioned everything about this society form the beginning. She and Nick I think make an adorable couple although we don't get to see many moments of them. I think the main reason I want to read the next book The Trust, is because of them and Nick's relationship with his best friend. Nick is such a good friend and person that he'll do anything for the ones he loves.

I found the story line simple and predictable. There weren't many surprises as I thought it may have and by the end of the book you'll be left with a lot of unanswered questions that I believe will be resolved in the next book.

Overall, I liked and found it addictive for some reason. I can't point at what it is but I want to find more about the characters and what are they going to do next.

Frosy 


Buy the book at Amazon (Format Hardcover)
Amazon | Book Depository (Format Paperback) 
Amazon (Format e-book, kindle)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...