Friday, April 4, 2014

Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout - Book Review

Title: Obsidian (Lux #1)
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Release Date: 2012
Format: Kindle e-book
Source: Bought it
My Rating: 4 stars


Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbour, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 
If I don't kill him first, that is. (Taken from Good=Reads.com)


MY REVIEW

It's been a while since I read any books and I am glad I grabbed this one to start with. I really needed a good fast paced book to get me into reading again and this delivered.

Obsidian is the first book of the Lux series. So far 4 books have been published and #5 is on its way.

I must say that I don't really like books about aliens so much. Never thought I would pick up an alien book and didn't quite realize either what this book was about at the beginning. Someone raved how good this book was, plus it was cheap on Kindle... so here I am, glad I picked it up. 

Obsidian is a fast paced story which I enjoy nowadays... and all the characters are enjoyable. Thankfully there was no annoying best friend to the main character which I hate the most. Katy, our main character, is pretty much in love with books (like we all are of course!) and you see that with her own book blog please! She is an enjoyable character, way too obsessed with Daemon if you ask me, but she is going through the whole process of 'I hate you but not really' and that's too frustrating watching as an outsider since they clearly like each other.

Daemon is still quite a mystery to me... not sure if I like him just yet. He was quite an asshole in the beginning which I guess he had his reasons but still.... he better step up his game on the second book in order to convince me! He does sound hot though ;)

I can't say much about the story without spoiling it and you get the main idea from the synopsis, but I can say it has the typical new girl in town full of weird things and then she discovers the school's hottest guy is an alien. Then story gets serious and things get real.


Overall I enjoyed it and can't wait for the second book. I would suggest picking up this book even if you are hesitant about the aliens thing. Honestly half way through the book I didn't care if it was about aliens or not because the story kept me from leaving. It was good! I know the second book will be even better and can't wait to find out what happens next!



1 comment:

Brett @ Demons Read Too said...

It's a been a long while since I read this book, but I do remember enjoying it a lot. I'm not much for aliens either--though I did enjoy watching Roswell back in high school. Thanks for the review, you got me thinking about starting book two. It's probably covered in dust by now ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...